Honda make reliable and affordable cars and they also have a large motorcycle following with fans swearing by their motorcycles. Honda make everything from scooters to roadsters to racers with some good results in between. Honda was founded in the late 1940s by Soichiro Honda. Soichiro Honda always had a passion for engineering, and this became evident by the success of his motorcycles in the 1960s and by competing head-to-head against the world’s best on racetracks. Today, Honda is a juggernaut, offering class-leading machines in most every category and we are going to take a look at the most iconic Honda motorcycles that have graced the earth.
(1) Super Cub - This little bombshell starts off our list for a good reason, she might not be the biggest or the strongest, but she is the best-selling in history. The 55-year-old model has a success recipe like no other and is currently boasting over 60 million units sold. The Super Cub has been compared to the Ford Model T, Volkswagen Beetle and the Jeep as an icon of 20th century industry and transport. “And though she be but little, she is fierce.”
(2) Superhawk - Honda truly pushed the boundaries with this rider and rivalled the best of its time. It used cutting-edge technology that was much lighter and affordable to manufacture and all-in-all created a new generation of motorcycle. Of course it helped that Robert Pirsig chose it as his vehicle when he embarked on his philosophical journey.
(3) Gold Wing - A true statement in travelling comfort, the Gold Wing has developed a lot over the years but has always offered its rider a distinction from the other roadies. Lately it can be seen sporting the latest technology to assist you on your journey.
(4) CB750 - Many riders consider this model the genesis of superbikes. This amazing piece of art was the result of Honda’s obsession with breaking into the American market and, boy, did it work. There is no shortage of power on this beauty!
(5) The Hurricane (CBR600F) - Another market-shifting technology introduced by Honda: A sport bike encased in plastic. The poor man’s racer, as it was dubbed, made it possible for Joe Everyman to afford a fast bike. Once again Honda keeps improving on this model’s technology.
(6) Africa Twin - I know what you’re thinking: Dakar. And you are thinking like a true biker now because the Africa Twin was built for exactly that purpose. Usually, a rider hopes the bike will not crumble under the pressure the rider puts it through, and with the Africa Twin - she's as tough as nails!
(7) Rune - Every manufacturer has to have one crazy project and the Rune is that project for Honda. It’s very large and most definitely in charge. It worked out well as they sold three times as much as they had planned on. If ever a motorcycle were worthy of the epithet “memorable” then it is the Honda Rune. This remarkable machine sits low to the ground and is over 2m long... truely a memorable motorcycle.
If you want to learn how to ride a motorcycle and get your motorcycle licence -
CONTACT IAN WATSON'S
PHONE: 1300 786 088